Sunday, August 14, 2016

Faraway Gazing sunflower demo still life by Alabama Artist Angela Sullivan

Faraway Gazing sunflower demo still life by Alabama Artist Angela Sullivan
I decided to share my painting process with you today. Instead of painting in my studio I just set this still life up in my living room and painted as I watched TV. This is the final picture and I posted it twice just so it would post right.
 1. I start by blocking in placement with darks and light.

 I moved the cup and decided to leave the frog out...
 After I got the basic focus blocked in I decide to Paint in the dark background. This will change a lot as the painting progresses.
 My palette starting at bottom and going left Cad yellow light, Cad red light, Permanent Rose, Alizarin Crimson, Burnt Umber, Burnt Sienna, Ultramarine Blue, Prussian Blue, Pthalo Blue, Indigo Blue, Sap Green and Titanium white in the center. I know it looks a mess.

 I add in the light foreground


 Adding more detail to the glass and the cup also adding lighter blue on the cup. Also blurring the distant sunflower petals.
 I added the petals on the table just for more yellow to tie everything in.
 I now blur the edges of the pitcher to shift focus.
Now I add in the yellow flowers on the vase and complete the table cloth by dragging light whitish blue paint across and down with a palette knife leaving rough texture. I hope you enjoyed this little demo of how I approach and oil painting. This is a 10x8 oil on canvas panel.


1 comment:

La Petite Gallery said...

LOVE this, I think your style is awesome. love it. yvonne